In recent years, it has been discovered that the proteins present in latex materials, such as latex gloves worn by medical staff, doctors, and dentists, can sometimes cause an allergic reaction in patients. These reactions range from mild to severe. Latex gloves are typically worn to prevent an oral infection during a dental procedure. However, due to the increase in latex glove use, allergic reaction symptoms have also steadily increased.
Latex allergies could cause the following symptoms:
- Dry skin
- Low blood pressure
- Respiratory problems
- Tingling sensations
Some people are more at risk for contracting symptoms of a latex allergy. Individuals who have undergone multiple surgical operations, have spina bifida, or are persistently exposed to latex products may serve to increase vulnerability to latex products. If you are aware that you have a latex allergy, please contact our office before your dental appointment and proper precautions will be taken to ensure we utilize other means to prevent an oral infection.